Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
Recycling is one means of ensuring the items we have finished using are returned to the resources pool and either get turned into something else or are cleaned and reused. Recycling not only helps to conserve raw materials, but often helps to save on additional energy that would otherwise be used in producing any new products. But more importantly, for Calaveras County, it reduces the amount of materials going into our Rock Creek landfill.
Yet not everyone feels motivated to recycle. We hope that with some understanding of the benefits of recycling to our community, it will become second nature. We encourage you to find ways to reduce not only the amount of trash, but the toxicity of the trash we throw away; reuse containers and products; recycle as much as possible and buy products made with recycled content.
EPA, Earth 911 and CalRecycle (California State's website) have very useful information on how you can incorporate the 3 R's into your everyday life.
Before you throw it away, consider donating your unwanted and unused items instead. Check with:
Habitat for Humanity - They accept appliances in good working condition; Cabinets; Doors and Windows; Flooring; Furniture; Hand and Power Tools; Hardware; Light and Plumbing Fixtures; Tiles; Unused Construction Lumber. Please contact them at (209) 754-5331 for more information. The drop off warehouse is located in San Andreas.
Habitat for Humanity will also accept vehicles donations. It is quick and easy to donate automobiles, trucks, boats, RV’s, motorcycles, construction equipment and other vehicles ~ running or not! Plus, you may be eligible for a tax deduction. (Consult your tax advisor or the IRS for details.) For more information on how to donate a car, truck, boat or RV to Cars for Homes™ call (877) 277-4344 toll free or visit www.carsforhomes.org.
Wheelchairs, walkers, canes and crutches and other patient rehabilitation devices can be donated locally to the Angels Murphys Rotary Club by setting the devices aside at any of the County's facilities or by contacting Roger La Jeunesse 743-1779 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a pick up. It does not matter what condition these items are in. They will accept all items in any condition. Visit www.angelsmurphysrotary.org for more information on their organization.
Donations to our local Animal Shelter like old sheets & towels for bedding; any washable rugs; durable rubber toys, pet supplies, pet foods (especially wet food), and food dishes. Please contact Calaveras County Animal Services at (209) 754-6509 to see how you can help them.
Local thrift stores
- Calaveras Humane Society Thrift Store, located at 2182 Highway 4, Arnold, CA 95223. If your items are perfectly serviceable, they would love to have them. Donations are accepted 6 days a week, give them a call at (209) 795-4483.
- The Salvation Army. For pick up of large donations or items, call the Salvation Army at (800) SA TRUCK or visit their website at www.satruck.org to possibly schedule an online pickup.
- There is a Salvation Army donation drop box located at Calaveras Mini Storage at 1031 S. Hwy 49 in San Andreas.
- Hospice Thrift Store in Angels Camp, located at 570 N. Main Street, contact them at 736-4830 for acceptable items.
- HRC's Once Again Thrift Store in San Andreas, located at 682 East St. Charles Street, contact them at 754-0692 for acceptable items.
- Thrift Store, located at 200 Hwy 12, in Valley Springs. Contact them at 772-2490.
- Please check with your friends, neighbors, local shelter or day care for donations of your items.
- Libraries - Please donate your new or used books, videos, and DVDs to the Library. Questions about book donations can be directed to (209) 754-6701.
- Textbooks can be recycled through Independent Book Buying Services, IBBS at http://ibbstextbooks.net.
- Books and More in Angels Camp will take donations of books. Contact them at 736-9020 for more information.
- Hein & Co at 204 Main Street in Jackson will take any and all VHS tapes, DVD's and CD's. They also accept hard bound and paper back books. You can contact them at 223-9076.
- Discover Books will recycle books, DVD's and CD's in their blue recycling bins at the Mar Val Shopping Center in Valley Springs and at the Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility.
FreeCycle.org, Freesharing.org and ReuseitNetwork.org are online resources for reusing items within your own communities, usually items are for free.
Or sell your unwanted items at yard sales, Amazon, Ebay or any number of online thrift stores where you post your items for sale.
Try listing your items on local bulletin boards, including online bulletin boards.
Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility has a Re-Use cabinet that is open Saturdays and Sundays during normal operating hours for residents to pick up and re-use items, such as oil, paints, cleaners, etc. The cabinet is constantly changing with the materials and supplies available, so check with the attendant on the transfer floor to see if you can use any of the products. This program is limited to residents only, no businesses. There is a 5 container or 10 gallon limitation. These products are not for resale.